This wholesome and scrumptious mushroom stew recipe is a wonderful vegetarian dish that includes contemporary and dried mushrooms for optimum flavour, loads of greens and a contact of cream. In case you’re searching for mushroom dinner concepts or for a meat-free predominant, be certain to offer it a go.
In This Publish:
Mushroom Stew Recipe Overview
I first created this mushroom stew recipe for my Paleo reset program and it was used throughout one of many reintroduction weeks, when the contributors had been bringing again dairy. I needed to have a vegetarian predominant on the menu and so this stew was born. I now usually make it for our meatless Mondays or at any time when I really feel like a comfy stew or soup.
This mushroom stew is vegetarian and gluten-free pleasant and it’s full of greens like onions, celery, carrots and potatoes to offer it some substance. It’s made utilizing contemporary and dried mushrooms for optimum flavour. And with a contact of cream and butter, it’s wealthy and velvety with out being too heavy. In reality, it’s fairly low in energy by itself.
In case you eat bread, serve it with a beautiful piece of sourdough, garlic bread or croutons. If you wish to preserve it gentle and low-carb, get pleasure from it by itself. I like a sprinkle of grated Parmesan on prime as effectively.
🍄 In case you’re a mushroom lover, be certain to take a look at my different vegetarian recipes reminiscent of this grain-free mushroom and leek tart, this lentil mushroom Stroganoff, or the mushroom cauliflower and walnut taco ‘meat’.
Components For Mushroom Stew
- Mushrooms – you need to use any contemporary mushrooms out there to you -the extra, the merrier! I had common white mushrooms and a few Swiss Browns, however you possibly can throw in portobello, oyster, shiitake, and so forth. Utilizing extra dried mushrooms like shiitake or porcini provides unbelievable wild mushroom, forest flavour. Personally, I feel they’re price the additional money however usually are not important if you happen to can’t discover any, particularly if you happen to can supply quite a lot of contemporary ones.
- Base veggies – we have now the standard suspects right here reminiscent of onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and I’m including potatoes for some carbs and substance. You’ll be able to throw in different greens like zucchini, peppers, cauliflower, parsnips or candy potatoes.
- Liquids – vegetable inventory and the soaking water from rehydrating the mushrooms.
- Further flavours – I like utilizing flavour enhancers reminiscent of tomato paste and soy sauce (or Tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free) as effectively salt and pepper. You too can throw in some dried herbs like rosemary or Thyme. Butter for sautéing the greens and mushrooms provides beautiful flavour to the stew as effectively.
- To complete – I take advantage of a bit flour to thicken the stew and heavy cream to make it additional creamy and scrumptious.
How To Make Mushroom Stew
Discover the complete checklist of components, dietary information, and directions within the recipe card under. Listed here are some step-by-step footage to information you alongside. There are primarily 5 key steps to creating the stew.
- Step 1. Rehydrate the dried mushrooms and reserve the liquid so as to add to the stew.
- Step 2. Sauté onions, celery, carrots and potatoes in some butter or oil, that is the primarily based for the stew.
- Step 3. Sauté all of the mushrooms (contemporary and chopped rehydrated ones) in a bit butter and olive oil with some garlic and lemon.
- Step 4. Mix the greens and the mushrooms, add the inventory, tomato paste, soy sauce and prepare dinner the whole lot till tender.
- Step 5. Thicken the stew with some flour and add the cream. Style for seasoning and end with lemon zest and parsley.
- Add additional plant protein – you possibly can throw in a can of lentils, beans or some cooked quinoa into the stew for additional plant-based protein.
- Add hen or beef – you can too add shredded rotisserie/leftover hen or thinly sliced beef steak to make this a meaty mushroom stew.
- Make it like a curry – use coconut cream as an alternative of standard cream and add some ginger and curry powder to offer it extra Asian flavours; you can too add additional soy sauce, a bit lime juice and contemporary coriander (cilantro) to complete. This might be an amazing dairy-free choice.
- Make it tacky – Stir in grated Cheddar and Parmesan on the finish to make it much more scrumptious and comforting.
What To Serve With This Stew
This mushroom stew is hearty, nevertheless it’s vegetarian and the dearth of protein does preserve it on a lighter aspect. If that’s what you’re after, then get pleasure from it as it’s however if you wish to add extra substance to the meal, I like to recommend the next:
- Bread – common bread, low-carb, paleo or no matter floats your boat could be nice as a aspect as you possibly can dip it into the stew; I like toasted sourdough or bread rolls and can generally make garlic bread.
- Croutons – add a couple of croutons on prime so as to add additional energy and complimenting texture.
- Rice or quinoa – pre-cooked rice or quinoa, and even lentils or beans, will be added to the stew or served alongside.
- Further toppings – you possibly can full the meal with additional toppings reminiscent of grated cheese, bitter cream, cooked hen, chickpeas, and so forth.
- For additional flavour – the stew is garnished with parsley and lemon zest, which add aroma and flavour, however you can too experiment with fried shallots, chilli garlic oil, additional grated Parmesan, chilli flakes, or different contemporary herbs.
Discover the complete checklist of components, directions, and a dietary breakdown under. When you have questions or prepare dinner this recipe, please let me know within the feedback, and ensure to price this recipe so it’s simple for others to seek out.
This wholesome, vegetarian mushroom stew is full of greens and made utilizing contemporary and dried mushrooms for optimum flavour. With a contact of cream and butter, it’s wealthy and velvety with out being too heavy.
Ending The Stew
- Soak the dried mushrooms. Place the dried mushrooms in a jar or a bowl and add the boiling water. Submerge and allow them to soak for 10-Quarter-hour till rehydrated. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- Make the stew base. In a big saucepan, warmth 1 tablespoon of butter over medium warmth and add the onions, carrots, celery and potato. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir for 2-3 minutes, till softened and calmly browned.
- Prepare dinner the soup. Add 3 cups of inventory and the reserved liquid from rehydrated mushrooms. Flip the warmth up and produce to a boil. Then flip the warmth all the way down to medium-low and canopy with a lid. Prepare dinner for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare dinner the mushrooms. In parallel to cooking the soup, warmth 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the remaining chopped onions and one other 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sauté for two minutes till softened.
- Chop the rehydrated mushrooms. Add these and the chopped contemporary mushrooms to the pan. Stir and prepare dinner for 3 minutes on excessive warmth, stirring a couple of instances. The mushrooms will launch a number of juices at this stage.
- Now, add the salt, garlic, pepper and lemon juice. Prepare dinner for five extra minutes, over medium-high warmth, till the mushrooms are barely browned and softened.
- Mix the soup base and mushrooms. Add the pre-cooked mushrooms to the soupy base adopted by tomato paste and Tamari (or soy sauce) and produce again to excessive warmth. As soon as it involves a boil, flip the warmth all the way down to medium, cowl with a lid and prepare dinner the whole lot for 10 extra minutes.
- To complete the stew, whisk 1 tablespoon of flour (your alternative) with 2-3 tablespoons of water or the liquid from the stew. I normally do that in a small bowl utilizing a fork. Ensure this slurry combination is easy. Pour it again into the stew, stir by and switch the warmth off. The stew ought to thicken barely.
- Lastly, stir within the cream and style for salt and pepper. Sprinkle in lemon zest and contemporary parsley and also you’re able to serve.
- Mushrooms: You should use a mix of contemporary mushrooms out there to you – the extra, the merrier! Dried shiitake and porcini mushrooms add unbelievable wild mushroom, forest flavour however usually are not important if you happen to can’t discover any. They’re nice to have within the pantry and are price spending a bit additional on.
- Dairy: We’re utilizing a bit butter and heavy cream. You’ll be able to simply make this soup with ghee or olive oil as an alternative of butter, or the cream will be omitted altogether. Coconut cream or plain yoghurt can be used.
- Prefer it tacky? Add 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan or Cheddar to the stew.
- Retailer within the fridge for up 4 days, reheat effectively. If freezing, pass over the cream and add it after defrosting.
- Serving Dimension: 2 cups
- Energy: 290
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 1167.5 mg
- Fats: 15.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1 g
- Fiber: 5.6 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 32.2 mg
Key phrases: Mushrooms, Stew, Vegetarian, Wholesome, Gluten-Free, Mushroom Recipes, Mushroom Dinner Concepts
Extra Scrumptious Stew Recipes