Filipino Rooster Adobo is the nationwide dish of the Philippines, and it’s a low-carb rooster dish that’s scrumptious and simple to make. I’ve made this with items of rooster breast previously, however at the moment I’m updating the recipe to make use of more-authentic rooster thighs; use whichever rooster components you like!
PIN the Filipino Rooster Adobo to strive it later.
Filipino Rooster Adobo, is a recipe I’ve been making for years, first adapting it from a recipe from Mark Bittman and recommendation I’d gotten from a couple of Filipino meals bloggers. Then just lately I obtained infatuated with Rooster Adobo once more, and determined that utilizing skin-on bone-in rooster thighs actually was probably the most genuine approach to make this well-known dish.
We beloved this new model with rooster thighs that was scrumptious and simple to make, and with thighs we used a barely completely different course of than we did for the Rooster Adobo made with rooster breasts. (You should utilize that hyperlink to see the older recipe when you had been a fan and like rooster breasts.) I’ll additionally give some ideas for many who may desire utilizing breasts on this new simpler recipe.
This up to date simpler model browns the rooster first, simmers it the soy sauce combination, after which retains rooster heat whereas the sauce is decreased. It omits the onions which I ended up feeling didn’t add a lot and needed to be strained out of the sauce. when you’re a fan in any respect of Asian rooster recipes the place the rooster is cooked with soy sauce, I hope you contemplating attempting this up to date model of Filipino Rooster Adobo made with rooster thighs!
What’s Filipino Rooster Adobo?
Rooster Adobo is the nationwide dish of the Philippines, and it’s historically made with a complete rooster or bone-in rooster legs and thighs. (Don’t confuse this with Mexican spices or dishes which are known as Adobo; it’s a utterly completely different dish.) The rooster is simmered within the Adobo combination of soy sauce, vinegar, water, garlic, bay leaves, onions, and pepper, and at all times broiled or pan-fried as a part of the method. And naturally that is the kind of recipe the place each Filipino grandmother may have her personal recipe, however I hope my course of for making Rooster Adobo is fairly near how some cooks would make it within the Philippines.
What components do you want?
(That is solely a listing of components; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or when you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the prime of the web page, it can take you on to the whole recipe.)
Why do I exploit Low-Sodium Gluten-Free Soy Sauce for Rooster Adobo?
Filipino Rooster Adobo is a dish the place rooster is simmered in a combination with numerous soy sauce. Then the sauce is decreased by cooking it down, so common soy sauce has the potential to make you find yourself with overly-salty sauce. I beloved San-J Low-Sodium Gluten-Free Tamari (affiliate hyperlink) for this recipe, however when you don’t discover that model there are many different good ones. And naturally use gluten-free soy sauce if wanted.
What when you don’t have white wine vinegar for the Rooster Adobo?
Probably the most conventional vinegar for making Adobo might be cane or coconut vinegar, however when you look across the net you’ll see cooks utilizing apple cider vinegar, rice wine vinegar, and common white vinegar. So use the kind of vinegar you could have readily available for this recipe!
What garlic must you use for Rooster Adobo?
I’m guessing most cooks would use contemporary minced garlic within the Phillipines, and that’s nice when you’re up for that. We used minced garlic from a jar, which was simple and gave nice taste. We did discover that the minced garlic items confirmed within the sauce once we spooned it over the cooked items of rooster. We didn’t thoughts that in any respect, however use crushed garlic when you desire a smoother sauce.
Must you use complete peppercorns for Rooster Adobo?
Many Filipino cooks use complete peppercorns for the Adobo sauce combination, however we used coarse floor black pepper so we didn’t have to fret about biting right into a peppercorn!
How one can Make Filipino Rooster Adobo:
(That is solely a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or when you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the prime of the web page, it can take you on to the whole recipe.)
- We examined the recipe with 5 massive thighs, however there’s sufficient sauce for 8 thighs. (For rooster breasts, use 4 medium breasts reduce in half on the diagonal.)
- Trim to take away extra pores and skin and fats and season rooster with salt and pepper.
- Warmth peanut oil in massive frying pan over medium-high warmth.
- Brown rooster pores and skin facet down, shifting items a couple of occasions as wanted for browning. (I’d brown rooster 5-6 minutes for thighs, and a minute or two much less for rooster breasts.)
- Flip rooster over and brown different facet about 4 minutes (or a bit much less for rooster breasts.)
- Whereas rooster browns, mix soy sauce (ideally low sodium and gluten-free if wanted), white wine vinegar, water, minced or crushed garlic, bay leaves, coarse black pepper, and Floor Chipotle Pepper (if utilizing) to make the sauce
- Pour sauce over rooster and prepare dinner about 10 minutes, coated and at very low simmer. (For rooster breasts I’d solely simmer about 5-6 minutes.)
- Then flip rooster over and prepare dinner coated for 10 minutes extra, or till the rooster is cooked by way of. (For breasts I’d solely simmer rooster about 4 minutes for second facet.)
- Take away rooster to a plate and canopy tightly to maintain heat. Enhance warmth and prepare dinner the sauce till it’s decreased sufficient to coat your spoon, about 10-Quarter-hour. I’d style to make sure it’s not getting too robust.
- If you happen to don’t assume the rooster is heat sufficient, put again within the decreased sauce and simmer a couple of minutes. (We didn’t want to try this.)
- Serve rooster with the decreased sauce spooned over and additional sauce on the facet.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal
After all within the Philippines this tasty rooster could be served with rice with the additional sauce spooned over the rice. However it will be superb served with Straightforward Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Inexperienced Onion if you’d like a lower-carb possibility. I’d additionally love this Rooster Adobo with Superb Asian Inexperienced Salad, Roasted Broccoli with Soy Sauce and Sesame Seeds, or Air Fryer Asian Inexperienced Beans for a low-carb meal.
Extra Tasty Asian Rooster:
- 8 bone-in, skin-on rooster thighs (see notes)
- 1 T peanut oil
- 1 cup soy sauce (see notes)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 T minced garlic (see notes)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. coarse floor black pepper
- pinch of Floor Chipotle Chiles (optionally available)
- I am providing you with a recipe with sufficient sauce for 8 rooster thighs, however use the quantity you like
- Trim the thighs to take away extra pores and skin and pockets of fats and season with salt and pepper
- Warmth peanut oil over medium-high warmth in a heavy frying pan that is massive sufficient that rooster will slot in a single layer
- Brown rooster pores and skin facet down, rearranging the items in the course of the cooking time for optimum browning if wanted. (I might brown the rooster 5-6 minutes for thighs, and a minute or two much less when you use rooster breasts.
- Flip rooster thighs over and brown the opposite facet about 4 minutes (or a bit much less time for rooster breasts.
- Whereas rooster browns, mix Low-Sodium Soy Sauce, white wine vinegar, water, minced or crushed garlic, bay leaves, coarse black pepper, and pinch of Floor Chipotle Pepper (if utilizing) to make the sauce.
- Pour Adobe sauce combination over the browned rooster and prepare dinner coated on the very lowest potential simmer about 10 minutes. (For rooster breasts I’d decrease the time to 5-6 minutes.)
- Then flip rooster over within the liquid and prepare dinner coated at very lowest simmer for 10 minutes longer, or till the rooster is cooked by way of. (For rooster breasts I might decrease the time to 4 minutes for the second facet.)
- Take away rooster to a plate and canopy tightly with foil to maintain heat.
- Enhance warmth below the pan to medium and prepare dinner the sauce till it is decreased sufficient to coat your spoon, about 10-Quarter-hour, however style and ensure it is not getting too robust.
- (This simmering time can also be good to verify there isn’t any micro organism from cooking the rooster within the sauce, though the hazard is minimal since you do not add the sauce till the rooster is generally cooked.)
- If you happen to do not assume the rooster below the foil is heat sufficient when the sauce has thickened, you possibly can put rooster items again into the decreased sauce and simmer a few minutes; we did not want to try this.
- Serve rooster with the decreased sauce spooned over and additional sauce on the facet.
To make this model of Rooster Adobo with rooster breasts, use 4 medium rooster breasts, reduce in half on the diagonal and trimmed.
Low-sodium soy sauce or Tamari is finest for this, for the reason that sauce will get decreased; use gluten-free soy sauce if wanted.
If you happen to desire a smoother sauce, use crushed or pureed garlic.
Recipe tailored from Mark Bittman’s recipe in addition to recommendation from some meals blogger mates.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 152Complete Fats: 8gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 6gLdl cholesterol: 42mgSodium: 3562mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 13g
Diet info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Food plan / South Seashore Food plan Strategies:
This Filipino Rooster Adobo recipe is low in carbs and must be appropriate for low-carb or Keto food plan plans, which will certainly desire the brand new model with higher-fat rooster thighs. Leaner rooster breasts would in all probability be best suited for the unique South Seashore Food plan, though even when it’s made with thighs this recipe isn’t terribly excessive in fats.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Rooster Recipes or Skillet Meals to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Food plan Sort Index to search out recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may additionally prefer to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
I first made Rooster Adobo for the weblog in 2005, when the web was so much friendlier and I used to be chatting frequently with a bunch of Pinoy meals bloggers! The pictures had been improved in a model that used rooster breasts in 2011. (Use this hyperlink t0 see the printer-friendly model of the recipe with rooster breasts.) This present model with extra genuine rooster thighs was up to date with enormously improved pictures and extra info in 2023.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.