Genuine Kabob Koobideh is a Persian dish of seasoned floor beef on skewers that’s usually discovered as a road meals in Iran. My model of those floor beef kabobs are scrumptious and straightforward to make on a grill at residence.
PIN Kabob Koobideh to make it at residence!
Should you’re aware of my web site in any respect, you’ll have observed I’ve fairly an assortment of recipes for grilled kabobs. However this recipe for Kabob Koobideh is a novel kind of kabob made with double-ground seasoned floor beef that’s cooked on skewers. That is my model of the kind of floor meatkabob that’s usually seen as a road meals in Iran.
I realized to love these Persian floor beef kabobs in a Salt Lake Metropolis restaurant that’s now referred to as The Med. After I began my weblog, I did some experimenting to attempt to reproduce the dish I’d loved at The Med, the place it’s nonetheless on the menu and referred to as Kabob-e-Kubideh. I searched on the web and located a number of recipes, however for my first few makes an attempt the consequence was nothing just like the dish I’d liked a lot at The Med.
Then I visited a now-closed Center Jap grocery retailer in Salt Lake the place the proprietor really useful Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink). After I tried making Kabob Koobideh utilizing that seasoning mix I assumed the seasoning for the meat was good (and one description of the product on Amazon does say, “for that genuine Persian style.”)
After I determined lately that this favourite recipe desperately wanted a photograph replace I found Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning at Black Cherry Market in Salt Lake, a implausible place to search out center japanese meals of every kind. And I mentioned my Kabob Koobideh recipe with the charming man who owns the place and he thought I used to be heading in the right direction with the Sadaf Seasoning, double grinding the meat, and including a beneficiant quantity of finely chopped onion. I additionally added slightly salt and pepper and I couldn’t resist including slightly Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink), however that’s undoubtedly non-compulsory.
There are additionally different ideas included within the recipe, together with a recipe despatched to me by a reader who’s married to a person from Iran, so learn these when you don’t wish to purchase a seasoning combine only for this recipe. Nevertheless you find yourself personalizing your model of Kabob Koobideh, when you like center japanese flavors like I do I guess you’re going to like this recipe!
What components do you want?
(That is solely an inventory of components; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or when you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it can take you on to the entire recipe.)
- floor beef, I used natural floor beef with 15% fats
- Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink), or see notes within the recipe for different choices
- Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink), non-compulsory however good
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- Olive Oil (affiliate hyperlink), for oiling the grill
What did we serve with Kabob Koobideh?
We couldn’t resist photographing the Kabob Koobideh with Tzatziki Sauce, which can be what it’s served with at Cafe Med as nicely. And I understand that’s definitely combining meals cultures, nevertheless it’s undoubtedly a scrumptious mixture.
Is my model of Kabob Koobideh an genuine recipe?
I’m not claiming that is an genuine Persian recipe, however my model of this kabob is product of double floor beef blended with onions, salt and pepper, which is definitely true to the descriptions I discovered on-line, summarized right here. I did use a bought spice combine, nevertheless it was really useful by two completely different center japanese grocery shops. In fact the addition of Spike Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) is strictly my concept, and you’ll undoubtedly skip that when you like. Conventional Koobideh in Iran will typically have some floor lamb mixed with the meat, so undoubtedly strive that when you just like the sound of each beef and lamb floor collectively.
What spices are within the Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob seasoning I used?
The label of the Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) I used says “Onions, garlic, sumac, parsley, salt, pepper, turmeric, and different spices.” (And in case anybody is questioning, this firm hasn’t paid me to advertise their product they usually do not know I’m mentioning it right here!)
I really like to make use of these Double Kabob Skewers (affiliate hyperlink) to make Kabob Koobideh, and having two skewers in a single actually helps the bottom meat keep collectively on the skewer. However within the center east floor meat kabobs are sometimes cooked on blade-type skewers (affiliate hyperlink) that are much like these skewers that I obtained in Turkey. Should you solely have common spherical skewers, I might use two skewers in every cylinder of floor meat to duplicate the double kabob skewers.
Are you able to make Kabob Koobideh with out an outside grill?
Should you don’t have an outside grill, these kabobs might be cooked on a Stovetop Grill Pan (affiliate hyperlink), a George Foreman Grill (affiliate hyperlink) which cooks each side without delay so it’s faster, or beneath the broiler in your oven or toasted oven.
The best way to make Kabob Koobideh (Persian Floor Beef kabobs):
(That is solely a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or when you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it can take you on to the entire recipe.)
- I used natural floor beef from Costco that’s 15% fats, and is available in a package deal that’s 1.3 kilos which made 4 generous-sized kabobs.
- Right here’s a photograph of the Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) that was really useful to me. I feel this offers nice taste, however see different choices within the precise recipe under when you don’t wish to purchase it.
- Begin by very finely chopping one medium onion within the meals processor with the metal blade.
- Then add the bottom beef, Sadaf Floor Kabob Seasoning, salt, fresh-ground black pepper, Spike Seasoning (if utilizing), and water.
- Course of these components till all the pieces may be very nicely mixed. This double grinding of the meat is conventional, and helps hold the meat on the skewers and provides it a denser texture than common floor beef.
- Then the meat must be refrigerated for a number of hours so the flavors can develop. (You may even grind the seasoning with the meat within the morning earlier than work, and cook dinner the kabobs if you get residence.)
- When it’s time to cook dinner, divide the meat into 4 items. Oil the grill with a paper towel dipping olive oil and preheat the grill to excessive.
- Type every bit of double-ground meat into an extended cylinder and push a skewer into it. You wish to make them uniformly thick in order that they’ll cook dinner evenly. (Conventional Kabob Koobideh might be flatter than mine, however I discovered this form a lot simpler to handle on the grill.
- Flip the grill to medium-high and lay the skewered kabobs on pre-heated grill. (In fact I put them on an angle to make grill marks, however that’s not important.)
- Should you’re making grill marks, you’ll want to cook dinner till the meat is well-browned earlier than you strive rotate them, about 4-5 minutes; carry one kabob to see if it lifts simply off the grill.
- Then rotate going the opposite approach when you’re making an attempt for grill mark and cook dinner about 3-4 minutes extra.
- Then flip the kabobs over fastidiously and cook dinner till the inner temperature exhibits 160F for floor beef, when examined with an an instant-read thermometer (affiliate hyperlink.)
- Complete cooking time will depend upon the temperature of the grill, the thickness of the kabobs, and even the temperature of the air, however whole cooking time can be about 12-Quarter-hour.
- Serve scorching. I served my kabobs with Tzatziki Sauce, which isn’t genuine with this recipe, nevertheless it was definitely tasty!
Make it a low-carb Meal:
For a low-carb meal I’d eat this scrumptious Kabob Koobideh with Center Jap Tomato Salad, Cottage Cheese Salad with Za’atar, or Fattoush Lebanese Salad. Should you’re not so apprehensive about carbs it will even be scrumptious with Balela (Center Jap Bean Salad, Mujadarrah, or Greek Lemon Rice.) And I really like this with Tzatziki sauce on the aspect.
Learn extra about Kabob Koobideh:
If you wish to see different choices for Koobideh (which may be extra genuine than my recipe), try the grilled floor meat kabob recipes from Persian Mama, The Scrumptious Crescent, or Household Spice.
- 1.3 lbs. floor beef (
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 2 T Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning (See notes for different choices)
- 1 T Spike Seasoning (see notes)
- 1/4 cup water
- olive oil, for oiling the grill
- Coarsely chop up the onion after which finely chop it within the meals processor with the metal blade.
- Add floor beef in meals processor. Then add Sadaf Floor Kabob Seasoning, salt, fresh-ground black pepper, Spike Seasoning (if utilizing), and water.
- Course of the meat, onions, and spices till it is well-combined and finely floor.
- Put meat right into a plastic container with a snap-on lid and refrigerate two hours or so long as all day if that is what works for you.
- Oil grill grates with a paper towel dipped in olive oil, then preheat gasoline or charcoal grill to excessive warmth. (You possibly can solely maintain your hand there for a couple of seconds at that warmth.)
- Type meat into cylinder formed patties.
- Rigorously put meat on skewers. (I had double skewers, which labored nicely, though Koobideh is historically cooked on blade kind skewers. Should you solely have skinny spherical skewers I might use two skewers for every kabob.)
- Flip warmth all the way down to mediumm-high if you put kabobs on the grill.
- Should you’d like criss-cross grill marks, cook dinner kabobs about 4-5 minutes on first aspect, lifting one kabob to make sure the meat is brown sufficient that it is not sticking to the grill.
- Then rotate kabobs going the opposite approach and cook dinner 3-4 minutes extra.
- Rigorously flip kabobs and cook dinner the second aspect, for a complete cooking time of about Quarter-hour. (Precise cooking time will depend upon the temperature of your grill, the thickness of your kabob meat, and even the temperature of the air that day, so regulate them.
- If in case you have an instant-read meat thermometer, floor beef needs to be cooked to an inner temperature of 160F.
- Serve Kabob Koobideh scorching, with Tzatziki sauce if desired.
(Should you don’t have Sadaf Floor Meat Kabob Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) the package deal lists the components as onions, salt, pepper, sumac, parsley, turmeric, and different spices. Most recipes for Kubideh that I discovered on-line season the meat with turmeric, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Some recipes add parsley, lemon juice, or bread crumbs to the combination.
Should you do not wish to use Spike Seasoning, I might in all probability use a bit extra of the Sadaf Kabob Seasoning (or no matter seasonings you are utilizing).
After I posted this recipe I heard from a reader named Donna who’s married to a person from Iran. She shared her model of this dish, which I’ve to say, appears like it will style fantastic. (Thanks Donna!)
–1 lb lean (90% or higher) floor beef or lamb
–1 tsp salt (extra when you like)
–1 med onion quartered
–1 lemon juiced
Put the lemon juice and onion in a meals processor or blender. Puree. Add to meat and blend nicely. Type into patties and grill on skewers or straight on the bbq pit. Additionally you possibly can bake these on a broiler pan within the oven and have a really good substitute for the grilled ones.
This Koobideh Recipe was created by Kalyn in an try to duplicate the Kabob-e-Kubideh she enjoys at a restaurant in Salt Lake.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 508Complete Fats: 34gSaturated Fats: 12gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 18gLdl cholesterol: 148mgSodium: 1403mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 45g
Vitamin info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight-reduction plan / Low-Glycemic Weight-reduction plan / South Seaside Options:
This Kabob Koobideh is a good foremost dish for low-carb or Keto diets, which would like higher-fat floor beef. When it’s made with lean floor beef it will for for any part of the unique South Seaside Weight-reduction plan.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Weight-reduction plan Sort Index to search out recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may also wish to observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe for Kabob Koobideh was first posted within the very early days of my weblog. It was up to date with higher photographs in 2009. The recipe was up to date once more with new photographs and extra info once more in 2023.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.