Grilled Skirt Steak is juicy, full of bold flavor, and absolutely delicious. Grilling skirt steak brings out the best of this long thin steak that you are going to love.
Summer just seems like a great time to have steak, whether it’s grilled, air-fried, or skillet-seared. Try these incredible steak recipes that have top reviews, Garlic Herb Butter, London Broil, and Cube Steak!
Skirt Steak Recipe
Mouthwatering, tender steak fresh off the grill is an absolute treat! Summer is finally here and that means it’s grilling time. I love being able to grill, it keeps the heat out of my kitchen and house and gets the whole family outside. This grilled skirt steak is perfect for a big backyard BBQ with friends or family. It makes a lot and tastes dynamite. You are going to love the flavor!
This skirt steak starts with a perfectly balanced marinade, created especially for this cut of meat. Similar to my Best Steak Marinade has the perfect balance of acid, oil, and spices to tenderize, flavor and add moisture to your meat. Then after its marinaded you are going to grill this beautiful piece of meat for a char and sear that will make your taste buds happy! Seriously, your whole family is going to love this grilled skirt steak!
What You Need For the Ultimate Skirt Steak
The marinade is made from ingredients you can readily find at home or at the store. It is the perfect blend of seasoning to create the most tender and juicy skirt steak. You will find the complete list of ingredients and measurements listed below in the recipe card.
- Skirt steak: This recipe is for about 2 pounds of steak.
- Soy sauce: Adds umami flavor that is so good.
- Lemon juice: This provides the acid that helps tenderize the meat.
- Olive oil: Helps carry moisture and flavor into the steak.
- Worcestershire sauce: One of my all time favorite flavors for steak.
- Minced garlic: Fresh garlic will impart the most flavor.
- Italian seasoning: Aperfect blend of spices and herbs that you are going to love in this marinade.
- Pepper and Salt: Adds flavor and helps carry the flavor into the meat.
- Pinch of red pepper: Adds a bit of heat.
How to Prepare Skirt Steak
Two easy steps to help create the best grilled skirt steak! First marinade you’re steak for at least 2 hours then simply grill it. You will have your family raving about with this perfect skirt steak dinner.
- Marinade: In a large ziplock bag add the skirt steak, soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes. Let marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Grill: Preheat your grill to high heat. Add the steak to the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 for medium.
All about Skirt Steak
If you’re not familiar with skirt steak, here is all you need to know. It is a luscious cut to work with and perfect for marinating.
- What is Skirt Steak? It is one of the most flavorful cuts of meat, but also one of the toughest and must be cooked with care. Skirt steak contains the most muscle of all the cuts, giving it is distinctive look and flavor, but can also be over cooked easily. It is best to serve skirt steak rare to medium rare for the best flavor and tenderness.
- What to Buy: There are two cuts of skirt steak, the inside and the outside. You want to purchase the outside cut if you can. It will be longer, more narrow and very tender. The inside cut tends to be thinner and a bit more on the chewy side. Both will work perfectly for this recipe and give heavenly results.
- Perfect for Marinating: Because marinating meat really only penetrates the just barely under the surface of meat, the thinner the cut the better. Skirt steak is an ideal cut of meat for marinating because it is so thin and so long. More surface area to hold on to that exquisite flavor and allows the marinade to tenderize more of the meat.
- What if I can’t Find Skirt Steak: A beef cow only has two skirt steaks on it, meaning it is a more rare cut of meat. Often the outside will end up in a restaurant, meaning even fewer in the stores, so yes sometimes you won’t’ be able to find one. You can use a flank, flat iron or flap steak instead.
Tips For Perfectly Marinated and Grilled Skirt Steak
This is a quick cooking cut of meat, even though it is so large it won’t take long. Just a few minutes on each side of the meat you will find char markings with a crisp outside and tender, juicy inside. The perfect grilled skirt steak starts here!
- Marinade: When marinating steak, you want to marinate it for at least 30 minutes but no longer than 24 hours. If you over marinate steak you run the risk of breaking down the fibers creating mushy tough flavorless meat. I suggest flipping the steak half way through it’s marinating time.
- Discard Marinade: For safety reasons, discard all marinade before grilling. Do not use it to baste the steak as it cooks. If you want to do that, make a fresh batch to avoid contamination and possible illness.
- Grilling: Skirt steak should not be overcooked. It will become tough and chewy if over cooked. Grill over high heat for 3-5 minutes and do not cook over medium-rare. It will become tough. Steak will continue to cook for a few minutes after you have removed it from the grill so keep that in mind.
- Let it Rest: As with all meat, let it rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting to let the meat redistribute the juices into the meat.
- Cut Against the Grain: For the most tender and juicest bites of meat, be sure to cut against the grain. This means to slice it in the opposite direction the fibers are running.
This grilled skirt steak is super awesome on its own or you can slice it up for other recipes. This will go in fajitas, stir fry, on top of salads, or even in a cheesesteak sandwich. When serving it at a BBQ you want great side dishes to go with it. Sometimes the perfect side dish can elevate the meal from good to amazing. Try these side dishes to go with it.