This Cottage Cheese Salad with Za’atar is a recipe that was despatched to me by a reader, and this was a kind of must-make-again recipes from the primary chunk. In the event you don’t have the center jap spice combine known as Za’atar, use any dried spices that you simply like on tomatoes.
PIN the Cottage Cheese Salad to strive it later!
Generally I strive a recipe and from the very first chunk I do know it’s one thing that I’m going to be making time and again, and when Jake and I made this Cottage Cheese Salad with Za’atar, we couldn’t cease exclaiming over how incredible it was. However simply as enjoyable because the salad itself is the story of how I occurred to be making this scrumptious salad with cottage cheese, cucumbers, olives, and tomatoes!
I realized about this salad after I obtained an e-mail from a reader named Effie who informed me she enjoys the weblog, and she or he supplied to ship me some spices from Israel. I like Center Jap flavors, so I used to be excited when just a few weeks later I obtained a package deal with heaps and many totally different spices, plus recipes!
Effie’s package deal had so many new issues I’m having enjoyable experimenting with, however since I used to be at the very least slightly aware of Za’atar, this cottage cheese salad with Za’atar Spice Combine (affiliate hyperlink) was one of many first issues I attempted. And I used to be fairly positive Za’atar would style nice on American cottage cheese, and it did!
And even when this model of cottage cheese salad is barely totally different from the genuine one Effie says is a favourite of her children, we merely couldn’t cease consuming it. Many, many due to Effie, and now I’m engaged on a package deal to ship again to her!
What elements do you want for this recipe?
(That is solely an inventory of elements; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in the event you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it should take you on to the entire recipe.)
- cucumbers, ideally small Persian cucumbers or mini-cucumbers
- recent tomatoes (see notes)
- inexperienced onion
- sliced olives (see notes)
- cottage cheese
- olive oil (a beneficiant drizzle)
- Za’atar Spice Combine (affiliate hyperlink)
Za’atar (pronounced zaa-tuh) is a center jap herb plant known as bible hyssop or Syrian oregano in English, however the title most frequently means a mix of spices that all the time contains thyme, powdered Sumac, sesame seeds, and salt. Genuine Za’atar usually has Hyssop as a substitute of thyme. Za’atar Spice Combine (affiliate hyperlink) is extensively accessible, even within the U.S. The Za’atar you see within the picture above is the model that’s really helpful at my favourite Black Cherry Market in Salt Lake, the place they promote all kinds of center jap meals.
Are you able to make this Cottage Cheese Salad with out Za-atar?
In the event you don’t have the center jap spice combine known as Za-atar, I’d love this salad with a center jap spice known as Sumac (affiliate hyperlink), which is without doubt one of the elements in Za-atar. And in the event you don’t have both of these simply season the salad with any seasonings you want on recent tomatoes.
What’s Cottage Cheese like in Israel?
Once I looked for details about cottage cheese in Israel, I found it’s one of the fashionable dairy merchandise bought there. Israeli cottage cottage appears to be thicker and creamier than the American model, and it’s a staple in Israeli properties.
What Cottage Cheese did I exploit?
For each bitter cream and cottage cheese in America, I’m fairly loyal to Daisy model, which I feel is creamy and scrumptious, and Daisy Cottage Cheese is one thing that’s virtually all the time in my fridge. (For the report, this firm has by no means given me any cottage cheese and I’m positive they don’t even know that I’m alive.)
The way to make Cottage Cheese Salad with Za’atar:
(That is solely a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in the event you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it should take you on to the entire recipe.)
- The Za’atar Effie despatched me was very inexperienced in comparison with what I had seen right here, and the flavour was wonderful. Za’atar accommodates Sumac (affiliate hyperlink), which I’ve liked in so many recipes.
- For 4 servings of salad, I reduce up 4 small Persian cucumbers, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup sliced inexperienced onion, and 1/2 cup sliced olives.
- Combine the veggies in a salad bowl that’s sufficiently big to toss the elements collectively.
- I used my favourite Daisy cottage cheese.
- We topped the greens with 1 cup cottage cheese, a beneficiant drizzle of olive oil, and a couple of tablespoon of Za’atar.
- Stir collectively, and revel in, with extra Za’atar to sprinkle on on the desk for folks like me who can’t get sufficient of this flavorful spice combine!
Extra Tasty Recipes the place you should utilize Za’atar:
- 4 small Persian cucumbers, reduce in fourths lengthwise after which into slices (Persian cucumbers are typically known as mini-cucumbers in U.S. shops)
- 1 cup diced recent tomatoes (see notes)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced inexperienced onion
- 1/2 cup sliced olives (see notes)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 T olive oil (a beneficiant drizzle)
- 1 T Za’atar (roughly to style)
- Lower the Persian cucumbers into fourths lengthwise after which reduce into slices. (If it’s a must to use common cucumbers, they might have to be absolutely or partially peeled.)
- Cube the tomatoes, slice the inexperienced onions, and slice the olives.
- Mix the greens in a salad bowl, giant sufficient to toss the elements collectively.
- Put the cottage cheese on high of the tossed greens.
- Drizzle with a beneficiant quantity of olive oil, sprinkle with Za’atar to style, and toss once more.
- Serve instantly, with extra Za’atar to be added on the desk.
I used grape tomatoes reduce in half. I used common black olives, however Kalamata olives can be good.
This recipe is from a beneficiant reader named Effie who lives in Israel. Effie says this salad is a favourite of her children.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 169Complete Fats: 11gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 8gLdl cholesterol: 9mgSodium: 372mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Vitamin info is routinely calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight loss program / Low Glycemic Weight loss program / South Seaside DietSuggestions:
This Cottage Cheese Salad is loaded with wholesome elements, and it could be nice for low-carb consuming plans. You can additionally eat this for any part of the unique South Seaside Weight loss program, however South Seaside would advocate reduced-fat cottage cheese!
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Weight loss program Sort Index to search out extra recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may also wish to observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2012 when a reader named Effie despatched me the recipe. I made it fairly just a few instances since than, and it was final up to date with extra info in 2023.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.