Table of Contents
Spiced, grilled shrimp with Alabama white sauce is a implausible recipe impressed by America’s ‘Southern’ delicacies. Serve at your subsequent barbecue or summer season celebration or flip these into grilled shrimp bowls over rice or salad with some candy corn, inexperienced onions and avocado, plus that scrumptious sauce drizzled on prime.
Grilled shrimp or prawns as we name them in Australia will be served in some ways and it’s a scrumptious and wholesome protein choice. Shrimp will be merely seasoned, rubbed in a spice mix, or marinated earlier than being grilled on a barbecue, pan-fried on the range or broiled within the oven.
On this recipe, I wished to make use of frozen shrimp because it’s extra inexpensive and I all the time have a stash in my freezer. Good thing is that you need to use pre-cooked or uncooked frozen shrimp right here, or contemporary, after all. It’s a forgiving type of recipe!
I wished to make use of a BBQ spice rub to season the prawns – a little bit bit influenced by Cajun or Creole flavours – and to serve, I made a decision to attempt Alabama white sauce (learn extra beneath)!
As soon as rubbed in a spice flour combine, the prawns will be grilled on a barbecue or pan-fried in a skillet till golden browned and crispy. You’ll be able to serve them on a platter or a board with the sauce drizzled over and a few in a bowl on the aspect.
I additionally had a imaginative and prescient of serving this dish as grilled shrimp bowls over salad or rice with some candy corn, tomatoes and avocado and have that uniquely flavorful and tangy white BBQ sauce drizzled on prime.
In the event you’re not from america, you may not be conversant in Alabama white BBQ sauce. It was invented by Robert Gibson at Large Bob Gibson’s Bar-B-Q in Decatur, AL, the place smoked chickens have been pulled from the pit and dipped in a scrumptious, tangy white sauce made primarily with a mix of mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper.
At the moment’s recipes for Alabama white sauce embody a wide range of substances and vary from cook dinner to cook dinner. And whereas this white BBQ sauce is often served with barbecued or grilled hen, I believed it could work effectively with grilled shrimp too.
WHAT DOES ALABAMA WHITE SAUCE TASTE LIKE?
Alabama BBQ sauce is kind of completely different from the normal purple, tomato-based BBQ sauces. For starters, there aren’t any tomatoes! The style is kind of advanced: it’s fairly tangy, and barely candy, with a number of umami (that fifth savoury flavour) and a little bit of spice to maintain issues thrilling. It’s virtually like a creamy, white salad dressing!
It goes effectively with any conventional barbecued or grilled meats, particularly poultry, however you too can repurpose it in a potato salad, coleslaw or over grilled greens.
Step 1. Collect the substances: mayonnaise for the bottom, apple cider vinegar (white vinegar or lemon juice can even work right here), salt and pepper, Dijon mustard, horseradish cream, Worcestershire sauce (you probably have it), garlic and onion powder, and cayenne pepper (or a little bit purple chilli).
Step 2. Mix and whisk collectively, it ought to have ranch dressing consistency and a little bit pink tint to it. Retailer in a jar within the fridge if made forward of time. It ought to preserve for every week.
Step 1. Defrost the shrimp if frozen. Place in a bowl of lukewarm (not sizzling!) water for 5-10 minutes. As soon as the water may be very chilly, swap for hotter water once more. The shrimp will thaw out fairly rapidly this manner. As soon as defrosted, pressure and pat dry with a kitchen paper roll. If utilizing contemporary shrimp/prawns, peel the shell however go away the tails on.
Step 2. Collect substances for the spice rub: a little bit flour of selection, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin powder, salt, pepper and cayenne or chili. There may be additionally a little bit little bit of both brown sugar or a sugar-free different.
Step 3. In a bowl, mix the spice rub and the flour (if used). Sprinkle the entire prawns or toss the prawns by means of, whichever means will coat them evenly. Do that simply earlier than cooking the prawns!
Step 4. If pan-frying: warmth a skinny layer of oil in a big frying pan or skillet over medium-high warmth. As soon as scorching sizzling, add the prawns with out overcrowding the pan. Cook dinner for 1-2 minutes on both sides till golden brown and crispy, often longer on the primary aspect. You’ll have to do that in batches.
If grilling exterior: warmth a barbecue grill plate to scorching sizzling and spray with a little bit oil, cook dinner the shrimp for about 2 minutes on both sides.
Serve the shrimp on a platter or a wood board with the sauce, a few of it drizzled over. Garnish with some herbs (cilantro/coriander or chopped inexperienced onions). Or, you may assemble grilled shrimp bowls.
Another choice is to show this recipe into grilled shrimp bowls, which make for a nutritious and full meal. Assume Buddha bowls or these ‘wholesome diet bowls’ with a number of colors, textures, enjoyable substances and a wonderful sauce, after all.
For the bottom of the bowls, you need to use common white rice, brown rice quinoa, cauliflower rice or shredded lettuce. I like a number of colors so I used purple cherry tomatoes, yellow candy corn, inexperienced avocado and inexperienced onions as different toppings.
If utilizing corn, I like to recommend charring or grilling it barely after boiling. You are able to do this on a barbecue or in a frying pan. Canned or frozen corn can also be okay to make use of right here.
Put together the toppings/substances for the bowls forward of time. A few of it may be chopped whereas the shrimp/prawns are cooking. You need to use store-bought pre-cooked rice or quinoa or black rice/quinoa packets. As soon as the whole lot is prepared, assemble the bowls and prime with grilled spiced shrimp.
I like to drizzle the sauce on prime however you may serve it on the aspect.
There aren’t too many energy in grilled shrimp, which makes them an important selection for these watching their every day energy or attempting to drop a few pounds. You’re taking a look at about 155 energy in 100 grams (3.5 oz) of grilled or baked shrimp. That’s about 10 items. This quantity doesn’t keep in mind spices, flour, any oil it may be cooked in or the sauce. However, it’s an important low base with a number of protein and minerals!
Spiced and coated in a little bit flour, this grilled shrimp remains to be low in carbohydrates and gluten-free (flour dependent) and will be Paleo and Whole30 pleasant if use one thing like tapioca/cassava flour for coating. You’ll be able to omit flour altogether, nevertheless it does add additional crispiness.
As I discussed above, you may flip the completed shrimp into a whole meal by serving a number of vegetable sides or making shrimp bowls together with your selection of greens, grains, herbs and so forth.
Grilled shrimp & sauce. Per serve (10-12 prawns + 2.5 tbsp sauce): 423 energy, 5.4 g whole carbs, 0.8 g fibre (4.5 g web carbs), 24 g protein, 8.1 g fats.
Grilled shrimp bowls with rice & sauce: 650 energy, 45.8 g whole carbs, 5.4 g fibre (40.4 g web carbs), 29 g protein, 14.3 g fats. Contains shrimp and sauce as above, 1/2 cup cooked white rice, 1/4 cup corn, 1/4 avocado, 4-5 cherry tomatoes, and 1/2 cup lettuce.
MORE HEALTHY SHRIMP RECIPES
Discover the total record of substances, directions and additional cooking notes beneath. You probably have questions or cook dinner this recipe, please let me know within the feedback and ensure to fee this recipe so it’s simple for others to search out.
Impressed by America’s Southern delicacies, this recipe for Spiced, Grilled Shrimp with Alabama White Sauce is implausible for any time of the yr however particularly in summer season. Serve at your subsequent barbecue or summer season celebration or flip these into grilled shrimp bowls over rice or salad with some candy corn, inexperienced onions and avocado, plus that scrumptious sauce drizzled on prime. You’ll be able to grill the shrimp or prawns on the barbecue or pan-fry them on the range, and each pre-cooked and uncooked crustaceans can be utilized.
- Make the sauce forward of time to avoid wasting time. Mix all substances in a bowl or a jar. Whisk or shake effectively till easy and put aside. Could be left within the fridge for a number of days.
- Defrost the shrimp if frozen. Place in a bowl of lukewarm (not sizzling!) water for 5-10 minutes. As soon as the water may be very chilly, swap for hotter water once more. The shrimp will thaw out fairly rapidly this manner. As soon as defrosted, pressure and pat dry with kitchen paper roll.
- Season the shrimp. In a bowl, mix the spice rub and the flour (if used). Sprinkle the entire prawns or toss the prawns by means of, whichever means will coat them evenly. Do that simply earlier than cooking the shrimp/prawns!
- Grill the shrimp. Warmth a skinny layer of oil in a big frying pan or skillet over medium-high warmth. As soon as scorching sizzling, add the shrimp with out overcrowding the pan. Cook dinner for 1.5-2 minutes on both sides till golden brown and crispy, often longer on the primary aspect. You’ll have to do that in batches.
- Make shrimp bowls. Put together the toppings/substances for the bowls forward of time. A few of it may be chopped whereas the prawns are cooking. You need to use store-bought pre-cooked rice or quinoa or black rice/quinoa. Corn will be out of the can otherwise you boil some corn on the cob and even grill it in a pan for additional color, not important although. Cube up the veggies and put aside.
- Serve the shrimp on a platter or a wood board with the sauce, a few of it drizzled over. Garnish with some herbs (coriander/cilantro or inexperienced onions). Alternatively, assemble the shimp bowls with sauce excessive.
- Shrimp – I take advantage of shrimp and prawns interchangeably right here, as in Australia we are saying prawns or king prawns for big shrimp. I take advantage of frozen shrimp because it’s extra inexpensive and for this recipe, it may be frozen uncooked or frozen pre-cooked. In each circumstances, you’ll defrost it, coat within the spice rub and grill/pan-fry till crispy. If it’s uncooked, it should cook dinner simply fantastic and if it’s pre-cooked, it should simply get crispy on the skin and warmth up. If utilizing contemporary uncooked shrimp, merely peel the shell and take away the vein however go away the tails on.
- Base choices for grilled shrimp bowls: 1/2 cup of cooked white or brown rice, quinoa, 1 cup cauliflower rice, 1-2 cups shredded lettuce), and 1/2 cup of beans of selection. You need to use pre-cooked pouches of black rice or blended rice and quinoa as effectively.
- Corn will be canned or frozen or corn on the cob, possibly ⅓ or ½ of the cob in a bowl per serve, corn will be grilled or simply cooked in boiling water.
- The diet label beneath is for grilled shrimp and sauce solely, see Vitamin Notes above for macronutrients for shrimp bowls.
- Serving Measurement: 4 oz / 115 g shrimp (about 10-12 items) + 2.5 tbsp sauce
- Energy: 423
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 1015.1 mg
- Fats: 8.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.4 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 197.5 mg
Key phrases: Prawns, Prawn Recipes, Shrimp Recipes, Alabama Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Shrimp Bowls, Protein Bowls, Wholesome Dinners, Dinner Meals, Wholesome Meals