Vietnamese Rooster Salad with Cabbage is ideal to make with leftover hen, and I like the Asian flavors on this slightly-spicy salad!
PIN Vietnamese Rooster Salad with Cabbage to strive it later!
A few years in the past one among my running a blog associates posted a recipe that’s now not on-line that she known as Vietnamese Cole Slaw, and the minute I noticed the recipe, I knew I’d be making some model of it. Glenna had a Vietnamese co-worker at the moment who informed her that in Vietnam the dressing for any such salad would by no means include oil, and that caught my curiosity.
And after I turned that recipe into this Vietnamese Rooster Salad with Cabbage I fell in love with the sunshine however extremely flavored dressing that features so many nice Asian flavors like fish sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic, sweetener, and Sriracha Sauce. Having good high quality fish sauce makes a giant distinction right here, and don’t be postpone by the odor, fish sauce tastes superb in small quantities.
And since I’ve a tough time strolling by these rotisserie chickens at Costco with out having one soar into my cart, I’m all the time searching for salads concepts to make use of the leftover hen. With the sunshine dressing, hen, radishes, and crunchy cabbage, I feel this salad is ideal for summer time.
What elements do you want?
What sort of fish sauce did I exploit?
I’m an enormous fan of Purple Boat Fish Sauce, which has zero carbs and is gluten-free, and Purple Boat incorporates solely recent caught wild black anchovies and sea salt. However for those who don’t discover that premium fish sauce the place you store, you may’t go improper with Three Crabs Fish Sauce, which I discovered about from Lydia’s put up on fish sauce. Learn that for those who’ve by no means cooked with fish sauce earlier than.
What for those who don’t like uncooked onion?
You’ll be able to positively use inexperienced onion on this salad to interchange the purple onion for those who desire. However one approach that tames down the onion a bit is so as to add the sliced onion to the hen when it’s marinating, so that you would possibly need to strive that for those who’re not a giant uncooked onion fan.
Why is that this salad good for Weekend Meals Prep?
This can be a nice salad thought for Weekend Meals Prep! One factor I’m making an attempt to do at my home is have salad fixings within the fridge so I’m prepared for lunch, and all the things about this salad (besides perhaps the chopped cilantro) might be prepped forward after which tossed collectively once you’re able to eat. This simple salad with Vietnamese flavors is known as a keeper; hope everybody will prefer it!
Need extra Cabbage Salad Concepts?
If you happen to’re a giant cabbage fan, take a look at Low-Carb and Keto Cabbage Salads to see tons extra of my favourite salads with cabbage.
Methods to Make Vietnamese Rooster Salad with Cabbage:
(Scroll down for full printable recipe, together with dietary info.)
- Whisk collectively the Sriracha Sauce, garlic, Monkfruit Sweetener or sweetener of your alternative, unseasoned rice vinegar, fresh-squeezed lime juice, fish sauce, and salt and pepper to style to make the dressing.
- Cube up about 5 cups of cooked hen; I exploit rotisserie hen breast from Costco for the hen, however you may poach some hen breasts too.
- The hen will get marinated in about half the dressing, which infuses the hen with taste. (It’s also possible to add the onions to this if you wish to tame down the onion taste a bit.)
- Chop up sufficient cabbage to make about 5 cups chopped cabbage.
- Finely chop cilantro, slice the radishes into half-moon slices, and reduce purple onion into slivers.
- Toss the salad along with the specified quantity of dressing and devour!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
I’d most likely eat this as a main-dish salad, particularly if I used to be having it for lunch. However for those who needed to make it a extra substantial meal you can additionally serve with one thing like Sugar Snap Pea Salad, Cucumber Salad with Balsamic Dressing, Thai Cucumber Salad, Grilled Spicy Eggplant, or Laurel’s Jicama Salad.
Extra Asian Cabbage Salads to Hold You Cool:
Napa Cabbage Asian Slaw
Spicy Lime Coleslaw
Kale and Purple Cabbage Slaw
Spicy Cilantro Peanut Slaw
Crunchy Low-Carb Chopped Salad
- 1 tsp. Sriracha Sauce (or extra, to style)
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 T Monkfruit sweetener, or sweetener of your alternative
- 3 T unseasoned rice vinegar (not sweetened)
- 3 T recent lime juice (see notes)
- 3 T fish sauce (see notes)
- salt and recent floor black pepper to style
- 5 cups diced cooked hen
- 1/2 small purple onion, sliced into slivers
- 5 cups chopped inexperienced cabbage
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 chopped cilantro
- Whisk collectively the Sriracha Sauce, garlic, Monkfruit Sweetener or different sweetener, unseasoned rice vinegar, recent lime juice, and fish sauce to make the dressing. (Fish sauce can differ in power, and for those who’re not used to it I like to recommend beginning with much less and including it till the dressing tastes good to you.
- Style dressing to see if you need a bit extra Sriracha Sauce. Season dressing with salt and recent floor black pepper to style.
- Cube the hen to make 5 cups chopped bite-sized hen items. Then put diced hen plastic bowl and blend with about half the dressing. (It’s also possible to add the purple onions to marinate with the hen if you wish to tame them down a bit.)
- Let marinate quarter-hour or longer when you chop the cabbage and cilantro and slice the radishes.
- When able to serve, add the cabbage, radishes, and cilantro to the hen/dressing combination and toss, including extra dressing till the salad is as moist as you’d prefer it. (It’s possible you’ll not want to make use of all of the dressing.)
- Serve instantly.
- This dressing will preserve within the fridge for a minimum of per week. If you happen to will not eat this a lot salad at one time, chop all elements besides cilantro, combine the dressing, and preserve within the fridge. Once you’re able to eat, marinate hen a couple of minutes when you chop cilantro, them mix and eat!
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 293Whole Fats: 15gSaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 106mgSodium: 925mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
Diet info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Eating regimen / Low-Glycemic Eating regimen / South Seaside Eating regimen Solutions:
Made with an accredited sweetener, this salad can be excellent for low-carb or Keto diets or for any part of the unique South Seaside Eating regimen.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to seek out extra recipes like this one. Use the Eating regimen Kind Index to seek out recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may also wish to observe Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
My first variation of this salad was posted in 2007, when my good friend Glenna posted Vietnamese Cole Slaw (a recipe that’s now not on-line.) By the years I made this recurrently and adjusted the recipe barely a number of occasions, however I all the time stored the oil-free Vietnamese dressing. The recipe was final up to date with new photographs and extra info in 2022.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.