This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy snowman cheeseball is the perfect keto appetizer for all of your winter celebrations! It’s easy to make and looks adorable as the centerpiece of a buffet table. Did I mention it’s delicious? This post is sponsored by Cabot Creamery.
Your mama always told you not to play with your food, but I say why not? Why shouldn’t we have a little fun with our holiday appetizers and treats, and turn them into edible showpieces?
This fun snowman cheeseball is case in point. He’s absolutely adorable to look at, but he’s also so tasty no one will mind digging in. And the kids get such a kick out of food shaped like characters they love.
I’m not really the crafty sort, but I had such fun creating this guy with Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar. It comes together really easily and holds up really well for get togethers. I plan on making another for our annual New Year’s party.
Really, really good cheddar
You are likely already aware about how much I love Cabot Cheddar. I use it in a lot of my keto appetizers, such as:
Truth be told, I could probably make a whole appetizer table out of recipes made with their fabulous cheddar.
For this snowman cheeseball, I featured the Seriously Sharp 18 month aged cheddar. It’s a gorgeous aged cheese that’s at home on the most elegant charcuterie board. But it also goes beautifully in comfort food recipes, and elevates keto casseroles and soups.
And it takes your cheeseball to a whole new level!
Many cheeseball recipes take packaged ranch seasoning, which isn’t the healthiest option. I took some inspiration from my homemade boursin to boost the flavor.
- Cheddar cheese (I recommend any Cabot variety, but the seriously sharp is so good!)
- Cream cheese
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
For decorating the snowman
- Baby carrot
- Rosemary sprigs
How to make a Snowman Cheeseball
This is the kind of recipe that makes people think you worked REALLY hard. You don’t have to tell them how easy it is!
- Grate the cheddar finely. To make it look more like snow, I recommend the small holes on a box grater or on the grating blade of a food processor. I did mine in the food processor and it made short work of that 8 ounce block.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter. They should be very smooth and well combined before proceeding. No one wants lumps in their cheeseballs!
- Add the seasonings and half of the cheese. Beat these in until well combined.
- Form with greased hands. At this point, the cheese mixture is quite sticky. Lightly greasing your hands helps to keep it from sticking.
- Refrigerate. The balls need to firm up in the fridge before you attempt to stack them.
- Roll in grated cheddar. Use the remaining half of your grated cheese to roll the balls and make them look like freshly packed snowballs.
- Assemble the snowman. Place the larger ball on a serving platter and use two toothpicks to secure the smaller ball on top.
- Decorate! I used peppercorns for the eyes, mouth, and buttons, and the very tip of a baby carrot for the nose. Then I stripped most of the leaves off of two rosemary sprigs. Voila! A snowman made of cheese.
What to serve with Keto Cheeseball Snowman
You have lots of options, both homemade and store-bought! Here are some ideas:
The unassembled cheeseballs can be stored, wrapped in plastic, for several days. Once you’ve put together the snowman, it will dry out if left out longer than a day.
But the leftovers can be pressed into a sealable container and will last several weeks, as long as your ingredients were fresh.
Easy Snowman Cheeseball
This easy snowman cheeseball is the perfect keto appetizer for all of your winter celebrations! It’s easy to make and looks adorable as the centerpiece of a buffet table. Did I mention it’s delicious?
Servings: 12 servings
- 8 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp White Cheddar divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 thin baby carrot
- 2 rosemary sprigs
Grate the cheddar on the small holes of a box grater, or use a food processor with a grating blade.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until well combined and smooth. Beat in half of the cheddar, the garlic, parsley, onion powder, salt, and pepper until well combined.
Divide the mixture into two uneven portions, using about two thirds for the body and one third for the head. Grease your hands lightly with olive or avocado oil and roll into balls. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.
When the balls are chilled, unwrap the balls and roll in the remaining grated cheddar. Place the large ball on a serving platter. Press two toothpicks about halfway down into the top of the ball. Place the smaller ball on top, secured in place by the toothpicks.
Use the peppercorns to make eyes and a mouth on the head of the snowman, and buttons down the body.
Cut the tip off the thin carrot and use for the nose. Remove most of the rosemary leaves from the sprigs and press in as the arms of the snowman. Spread any leftover grated cheese around the bottom as snow.
Serve at room temperature for easier scooping.
Easy Snowman Cheeseball
Amount Per Serving (2 tbsp)
Calories from Fat 132
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.