I believed this No-Mayo Vinegar Coleslaw was so scrumptious, although I’m normally an enormous fan of coleslaw with mayo. And this lighter coleslaw is ideal for spring when summer season salad elements aren’t fairly in season but.
PIN No-Mayo Vinegar Coleslaw to attempt it later!
If you understand my fondness for all issues mayo, it’s possible you’ll be stunned to see a recipe for No-Mayo Vinegar Coleslaw on my web site! It happened as a result of years in the past The Salt Lake Tribune posted the recipe for Crimson Rock Coleslaw that was a favourite at Salt Lake’s Crimson Rock Brewery. After all I instantly went “HUH?” concerning the thought of coleslaw with out mayo as a result of I really like all issues mayo!
Nonetheless, I additionally love all issues cabbage so I printed the recipe for the Vinegar Coleslaw and we experimented with it, after which I discovered myself making it by means of the years. And it seems that I like coleslaw with oil-and-vinegar dressing virtually as a lot as the numerous mayo-based coleslaw recipes I make so typically. If you wish to be an equal-opportunity coleslaw eater I like to recommend attempting this quickly!
And although this recipe was tailored from the Crimson Rock Coleslaw, we did change it up a bit after we labored on the recipe. I made a decision the unique recipe gave the impression of an excessive amount of coleslaw, and I used Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate hyperlink) which labored completely to make this a low-carb salad. And we made the coleslaw with an entire inexperienced pepper, used olive oil within the dressing, and used a bit extra dried oregano.
What elements do you want?
(That is solely an inventory of elements; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in case you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it is going to take you on to the whole recipe.)
- Olive Oil (affiliate hyperlink)
- Crimson Wine Vinegar (affiliate hyperlink) or vinegar of your selection
- Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate hyperlink), or sweetener of your selection
- Dried Oregano (affiliate hyperlink)
- inexperienced cabbage
- pink cabbage
- inexperienced bell pepper, finely chopped (see notes)
- salt and contemporary floor black pepper to style
Is that this a basic Vinegar Coleslaw recipe?
I work out each week with a terrific coach named Sheri who got here again to Utah after she lived in Alabama for some time. When she heard I used to be making a vinegar coleslaw recipe, so advised me no-mayo coleslaw is a favourite to serve everywhere in the South on a sandwich with pulled pork or simply as a facet dish. And after taking a look at another coleslaw recipes with vinegar, I believe this recipe has a barely completely different vibe, so this will not be a basic vinegar coleslaw. But it surely’s scrumptious! And if your loved ones has made a model of coleslaw with vinegar for years, chime in with a remark and tell us the way it compares along with your favourite recipe.
What in case you’re not a fan of inexperienced bell pepper?
Once we took new images for this recipe, Kara and I each liked the pop of inexperienced pepper all through the coleslaw. However in case you’re not a inexperienced pepper fan I believe pink bell pepper would even be scrumptious right here. Or omit the bell pepper utterly and use a bit extra sliced celery.
Do you must use each pink and inexperienced cabbage?
I really like using pink cabbage on this coleslaw recipe. However there’s little doubt that if the coleslaw sits for a very long time the vinegar will make the pink shade from the pink cabbage leach out and provides all of the coleslaw a pink glow! I didn’t thoughts that in any respect after I was consuming my leftovers, however you possibly can undoubtedly make the recipe with all inexperienced cabbage in case you desire, or see ideas under for how you can retailer the leftovers with out that taking place.
What sort of vinegar do you have to use for Vinegar Coleslaw?
I liked the mixture of olive oil, pink wine vinegar, oregano, and inexperienced bell pepper that provides this recipe some Italian flavors. However many vinegar coleslaw recipes use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar, so take your selection on the kind of vinegar you like.
Does Vinegar Coleslaw hold within the fridge?
I undoubtedly loved the leftover coleslaw after I ate it the subsequent day, however as talked about the vinegar will leach out some shade from the pink cabbage if it’s saved very lengthy. If you understand this recipe makes greater than you’ll eat for one meal, simply put the dressing on the quantity of coleslaw you’ll be consuming, refrigerate the remainder of the dressing and cabbage combination individually, and toss the elements collectively once you eat it later.
Need extra superb salads with cabbage?
In the event you’re additionally enormous fan of cabbage salads, make sure you take a look at my nice assortment of Low-Carb and Keto Salads with Cabbage!
The right way to Make No-Mayo Vinegar Coleslaw:
(That is solely a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in case you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the high of the web page, it is going to take you on to the whole recipe.)
- Whisk collectively the olive oil or vegetable oil of your selection, pink wine vinegar, Monkfruit Sweetener or sweetener of your selection, oregano, black pepper and salt to make the dressing.
- I actually appreciated the oregano on this dressing, and you probably have contemporary Greek oregano within the backyard I’d undoubtedly chop some up and use it on this slaw.
- I used my Mandoline Slicer (affiliate hyperlink) to thinly slice the pink and inexperienced cabbage, then chopped it a bit extra.
- You can too slice after which chop the cabbage with a chef’s knife in case you don’t have a Mandoline.
- Slice the celery and chop up the inexperienced bell pepper.
- Toss the salad with the specified quantity of dressing.
- That is finest if it sits for an hour or two earlier than serving so chill after which take pleasure in!
- See ideas above for storing leftovers if this makes extra coleslaw than you’ll eat at one meal.
Extra Favourite Coleslaw Recipes, with and with out Mayo:
- 1/2 cup olive oil (see notes)
- 1/2 cup + 1 T pink wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup Monkfruit Sweetener (or sweetener of your selection)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. coarse floor black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 medium head inexperienced cabbage, thinly sliced then chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 small head pink cabbage, thinly sliced then chopped (see notes)
- 1 inexperienced bell pepper, finely chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- salt and contemporary floor black pepper to style
- In a glass measuring cup or plastic bowl, whisk collectively the oil, pink wine vinegar, Monkfruit sweetener, oregano, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Let the dressing elements mix collectively a bit when you chop the salad elements. (I didn’t have contemporary oregano after I made this, however subsequent time I’d undoubtedly use some finely chopped contemporary oregano within the dressing!)
- Thinly slice, after which chop the inexperienced cabbage and the pink cabbage. I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate hyperlink) with the 3mm blade to slice the cabbage earlier than I chopped it, however you may as well slice and chop it with a big chef’s knife.
- Put chopped cabbage into salad bowl.
- Take away seeds from bell pepper and finely chop it and thinly slice celery.
- Add chopped bell pepper and sliced celery to salad bowl.
- Toss salad elements collectively, then whisk dressing another time, add desired quantity of dressing and toss the salad till all elements are calmly coated with dressing.
- This tastes finest whether it is dressed at the very least an hour earlier than serving.
- It doesn’t hold effectively in a single day within the fridge as a result of the vinegar causes the pink cabbage to bleed and turns the entire salad pink., so in case you received’t eat it unexpectedly, I’d toss salad elements collectively, gown the quantity you’ll be consuming, after which retailer the leftover salad and dressing individually within the fridge till you need to eat the leftovers.
I used about 7 cups chopped inexperienced cabbage and about 3 1/2 cups chopped pink cabbage.
Use any vegetable oil of your selection. Dried oregano is okay for this recipe, however I might use 2 tsp. finely chopped contemporary oregano if it’s obtainable. Use pink bell pepper in case you’re not a inexperienced pepper fan.
Recipe tailored from Crimson Rock Brewery’s Vinegar Coleslaw from The Salt Lake Tribune.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 144Complete Fats: 14gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Vitamin info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Food regimen / Low-Glycemic Food regimen / South Seashore Food regimen Solutions:
Crimson Rock Coleslaw is loaded with low-carb elements, and when made with Monkfruit Sweetener (or one other no-calorie sweetener) it could be nice for low-carb or Keto consuming plans or for any section of the unique South Seashore Food regimen .
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to search out extra like this one. Use the Food regimen Kind Index to search out recipes appropriate for a selected consuming plan. You may also prefer to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
The No-Mayo Vinegar Coleslaw from Crimson Rock Brewery was first posted in 2011! The recipe was up to date with new images and slighted improved in 2023.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.