This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smoked salmon mousse is an easy keto-friendly appetizer that everyone can enjoy. And it takes only 5 minutes to make! Pipe it onto cucumber rounds for a New Year’s get-together or just for healthy keto snacking.
I adore finger foods and this easy salmon mousse is my latest obsession. It’s so simple to whip up, has extraordinary flavor, and adds serious visual appeal.
With that pretty pink-on-green, it adds flair to any keto appetizer tray. And no one has to know that it took you all of 5 minutes to make.
Arrange it on a platter with some keto stuffed mushrooms and keto baked brie, and you have the makings for a spectacular cocktail party.
This salmon mousse takes 5 basic ingredients. You will need:
- Cream cheese
- Smoked salmon – lox-style, cold smoked salmon
- Heavy cream
- Lemon juice
How to make salmon mousse
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the processor to make sure things mix in well, and blend again.
Yes, that is it, my friends. That’s all it takes to make creamy smooth salmon mousse.
How to serve smoked salmon mousse
Now if you want to get a little fancy, I recommend piping it onto cucumber slices or keto crackers. A few tips for getting perfect keto smoked salmon appetizers:
- Scoop the mousse into a piping bag. The freshly made salmon mousse should be the consistency of frosting, so it’s perfect for piping. Don’t chill it first or it will be too firm to squeeze out of the frosting tip.
- Use an open star tip. If the prongs of the tip are too close together, they can clog up too easily from any small lump and you won’t get nice swirls of mousse. I used this piping tip from Wilton.
- Assemble just before serving. The cucumber slices release water if they sit too long so I suggest piping the salmon mousse on just before serving.
- Garnish with dill. Make your appetizers extra appealing with a tiny sprig of fresh dill or a little lemon zest.
Don’t feel like piping the mousse? Use a small spoon to dollop it onto the cucumber slices. Or you can simply put the mousse in a bowl and use it as a dip!
It’s delicious any which way you serve it.
Make ahead tips
Salmon mousse is a great appetizer to prep in advance of a party or get-together. As long as the ingredients you use are fresh, it keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Store it in a covered container or right in the piping bag. I recommend sealing the top of the bag with a twist tie so the mousse doesn’t dry out.
When ready to serve, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, so it’s softer and easier to pipe or scoop.
Can you make this with other salmon or fish?
If you’re not a fan of smoked salmon, you can easily make this mousse with any cooked salmon, including canned salmon. Just make sure it’s well drained and that you measure out 4 ounces.
You can make these easy keto appetizers with other smoked fish as well. Smoked trout or smoked white fish are delicious options.
Depending on what fish you choose, the color will vary. Lox-style smoked salmon gives it that attractive pink color. But it will be delicious regardless!
More delicious keto salmon recipes
Keto Smoked Salmon Mousse
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 ounces lox-style smoked salmon
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1 medium cucumber cut into ¼ inch slices
- Fresh dill for garnish
In a food processor, combine the salmon, cream cheese, whipping cream, lemon juice, dill, and salt. Process until well combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor as needed.
Place in a piping bag with an open star tip and pipe a swirl of mousse onto each slice of cucumber.
Garnish with a small sprig of dill.
Keto Smoked Salmon Mousse
Amount Per Serving (3 appetizers)
Calories from Fat 55
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.