I like my Hen Souvlaki recipe with plenty of lemon and a contact of thyme within the marinade, and this scrumptious Greek hen is simple to make.
PIN the Hen Souvlaki recipe to strive it later!
Souvlaki is a Greek dish that’s so traditional it’s a part of Wikipedia, which defines it as small items of meat grilled on a skewer. If I have been writing the definition, I’d add that the Greek cooking trinity of lemon, garlic, and oregano must be included in any Souvlaki recipe, and for this tasty Hen Souvlaki I additionally added a contact of thyme to the marinade.
And for a lightweight summer time meal I don’t suppose you may beat the mixture of Hen Souvlaki, served with home made Tzatziki Sauce, and one among my Low-Carb Salads with Feta Cheese. And in case you’re acquainted with my weblog in any respect, you know the way a lot I like all these flavors; hope you get pleasure from!
What elements do you want for this recipe?
Is Hen Souvlaki a standard Greek Dish?
I’m guessing that Lamb Souvlaki and Pork Souvlaki are extra widespread in Greece than the model made with hen, and a few folks may even contemplate Hen Souvlaki to be a Greek-American dish. However I like the model with hen simply as a lot as those with meat, and that is so tasty and simple for low-carb dinner!
How lengthy do you have to marinate the hen for Hen Souvlaki?
Marinating all day is pretty essential right here as a result of that’s what infuses the hen with Greek flavors, so it is a good dish to marinate within the fridge all day whilst you’re at work after which prepare dinner while you get house. You possibly can even marinate in a single day and all the subsequent day after which prepare dinner that night time for dinner.
Need extra variations for Greek Souvlaki?
When you love the thought of grilled items of meat with Greek flavors, you may additionally get pleasure from my recipes for Greek Lamb Souvlaki or Kalyn’s Pork Souvlaki.
What in case you don’t have an outside grill?
When you don’t have an outside grill or it’s not grilling climate, you may prepare dinner these hen skewers on a stove-top grill pan with ridges or it might be nice cooked on a George Foreman Grill as effectively. (affiliate hyperlinks) Keep in mind the George Foreman Grill cooks either side directly, so modify the grilling time.
Steps for making Hen Souvlaki:
(That is only a abstract of the steps within the images. Scroll right down to see the precise recipe together with dietary data.)
- Combine lemon, garlic, oregano, and thyme, plus a wholesome dose of olive oil to make the marinade for the hen.
- Reduce the hen breasts into items. (Subsequent time I would make them barely smaller, simply over 1″ sq..)
- Put hen right into a Zip-loc bag, add marinade, and let hen marinate within the fridge all day whilst you’re at work, or 8-10 hours
- While you’re able to prepare dinner, drain hen right into a colander positioned within the sink and let it come to room temperature whilst you preheat grill to medium-high. (Spray the grill with non-stick grill spray or brush with oil earlier than you preheat.)
- I like to make use of my blade kind skewers (affiliate hyperlink) or double skewers (affiliate hyperlink) which actually hold the meat from spinning on the grill, however in case you don’t have skewers like this attempt to fold over every bit of hen while you put it on the skewer.
- Cook dinner the hen on the primary facet till you begin to see grill marks.
- Flip over and proceed to prepare dinner, till you might have grill marks on the second facet.
- Flip and prepare dinner a number of extra occasions, till the meat is simply beginning to really feel agency and properly browned. I cooked these about quarter-hour complete cooking time on a medium-high grill.
- Serve sizzling and revel in!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Hen Souvlaki is nice with Tzatziki Sauce and I believe one among my Cucumber Salads or Salads with Feta Cheese could be good on the facet!
Extra Grilled Meals with Greek Flavors:
Very Greek Grilled Hen
Simple Grilled Greek Zucchini
Greek Pork Chops
Grilled Zucchini Greek Salad
Grilled Lamb Chops with Garlic, Rosemary, and Thyme
- 4 very massive boneless, skinless hen breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup recent squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. purple wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. finely minced garlic (or garlic puree from a jar or garlic powder will work)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano (use Greek or Turkish oregano)
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and thyme and stir along with a whisk or spoon.
- Trim all seen fats and tendons from hen breasts, then reduce every bit into 6-8 cubes.
- Put hen strips into massive Ziploc bag or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Pour marinade into Ziploc bag or plastic container, seal, and squeeze bag or flip container over and shake gently so all items of meat are well-coated with marinade.
- Put into fridge and marinate 8-10 hours.
- To get able to grill, take away hen from fridge, drain right into a colander, and let it come to room temperature;
- Spray grill with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil, then preheat gasoline or charcoal barbecue grill to medium excessive. (You possibly can solely maintain your hand there for a number of seconds at that warmth.)
- Thread marinated hen cubes onto skewers. (I like to make use of my blade kind skewers or double skewers (affiliate hyperlinks) to maintain the meat from spinning on the grill; if you do not have skewers like that fold over every bit of hen while you put it on the skewer.)
- Grill skewers, turning the primary time as quickly as you see good grill marks.
- Proceed to grill, turning each jiffy, till hen is properly browned and agency to the contact. Whole cooking time is about quarter-hour, however I might use an Immediate Learn Meat Thermometer and ensure hen has reached 165F.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 218Whole Fats: 12gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 68mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 25g
Vitamin data is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight loss plan / Low-Glycemic Weight loss plan / South Seashore Weight loss plan Recommendations:
Hen Souvlaki like it is a good essential dish for a low-carb meal in addition to for any section of the unique South Seashore Weight loss plan.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to search out extra recipes like this one. Use the Weight loss plan Kind Index to search out extra recipes appropriate for a particular consuming plan. You may also prefer to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2008. It was up to date with enormously improved images in 2019 and was final up to date with extra data in 2022.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a method for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.