This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crispy tender savory keto shortbread with chipotle and cheddar. These buttery cheese crisps are an easy appetizer or snack. This post is sponsored by Cabot Creamery.
Cheese cracker fans, you’re going to love this updated recipe for Keto Chipotle Cheese Crisps! Be forewarned that they are highly addictive.
You will likely find yourself doing what my husband I and I did – cruising into your kitchen every so often and grabbing one, or two, as you walk by.
They are easy to make too. And since it’s a slice-and-bake recipe, you can make a few at a time for snacking, or make the whole batch for a party-style appetizer.
The best sharp cheddar crisps
Cheddar and I are on very good terms. We’ve been friends for a long time, and it’s been there for me through many ups and downs over the years. But I think it may be when I discovered Cabot that we really took our relationship to the next level.
Yes, I really do have a strong bond with Cabot cheddar. Because to my palate, it’s the best tasting cheddar out there. And it’s not just my palate that thinks so. Cabot cheddar has won countless awards, both nationally and internationally.
Besides putting out some of the world’s best cheddar, Cabot is an exceptional company. It’s a co-op, which means that the dairy farmers own the company itself. It’s also B-Corp certified, with an emphasis on sustainability and positive community impact.
Now you can see why I love it so.
Updating Keto Chipotle Cheddar Crisps
This is actually an updated, and very much improved, version of an older recipe. I had long ago attempted a low carb version of some cheddar crisps I saw from Martha Stewart.
They were amazing in flavor, but the texture was far too crumbly and fragile to make them all that useful.
This time around, I tackled them slightly differently. I used my Keto Butter Pecan Cookies as the base, but without the sweetener or the pecans. Then I rolled them into logs and froze them for an hour or so.
Thus, they became an easy slice-and-bake cracker. The texture is divine! The sharp cheddar makes them both tender and crisp. And this way, you can make as few or as many as you want, as the moment dictates.
How to make Keto Chipotle Cheddar Crisps
This is a super simple recipe that results in a shortbread-like texture. Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Use a food processor. This helps cut up the butter and the cheddar finely and creates a much more cohesive dough.
- Dice the butter while it’s cold. The butter needs to be in small pieces before being added to the processor, but it’s hard to cut small pieces from room temperature butter. So dice it right after it comes out of the fridge and then set aside to soften.
- Use white or orange cheddar. Most Cabot cheddar is white but they do sell one that is orange. If you want a more “cheez-it” color, use the orange cheddar instead.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. I really liked these with a good kick of chipotle powder but you can make them less spicy or leave it out altogether. If you don’t have chipotle powder, try using a teaspoon and a half of chili powder.
- Freeze the logs, but don’t freeze them too long. About an hour to two hours is long enough to make the logs firm enough to slice. Any more than that and they get very hard to cut.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then press down. These crackers don’t spread on their own so you need to give them a little encouragement. Take them out of the oven after 5 minutes, cover with parchment, and press them down with a flat bottomed glass.
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt. After baking, you can sprinkle them with just a touch more chipotle powder and some flaked sea salt. They look more inviting that way!
How to store keto cheddar crisps
The baked crackers are best stored in a covered container on your counter.
However, the dough logs can remain frozen for months on end. When you are ready to bake them, let them sit out for 30 minutes or so, to soften just enough so you can slice them.
More delicious keto cracker recipes
Keto Chipotle Cheese Crisps
Crispy tender savory keto shortbread with chipotle and cheddar. These buttery cheese crisps are an easy appetizer or snack.
Servings: 40 crisps
Add the almond flour, coconut flour, chipotle powder, salt, garlic powder, and xanthan gum to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
Scatter the butter and the shredded cheese over top and process until the mixture forms a ball. Divide the dough in half and roll into logs about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Freeze the logs 1 to 2 hours, until firm but not rock solid.
Preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats. Use a sharp knife to slice the logs ⅓ inch thick. Place the slices on the prepared baking sheets.
Bake 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and cover with parchment paper. Use a flat bottomed glass to press down and flatten each crisp to less than ¼ inch thick.
Bake another 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Bake until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Remove and sprinkle lightly with additional chipotle powder and some sea salt, if desired.
Let cool completely on the pans.
Keto Chipotle Cheese Crisps
Amount Per Serving (4 crackers)
Calories from Fat 197
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.